April 28, 2011

A Forever Senior... in my Heart, Mind & Soul


When my sister and I were growing up (after the days of mom putting us in matching clothes), I always loved dressing her. I would complete the look by crimping, braiding and curling her hair.  I guess you could say this was when I began my love for styling! Since we both wore uniforms throughout grade school and high school, those non-uniform days were always coveted... well, by me anyway. My sister wasn't ever that interested. So, I would have fun putting outfits together for her, complete with accessories and shoes. I would give her several choices and she went along with it. Being four years apart, we had our differences, arguments and disagreements. Ironically, THIS was something we never really "fought" about. She was so good to me, letting me choose her clothing, do her hair and even make-up at times. I guess perhaps she saw the joy I had in helping her and deep down she liked seeing my enthusiasm. Her style developed more into high school and was far different than my own and we accepted that of each other. She was rather simple and a bit picky but certainly wanted to stay in fashion and liked nice clothes. Her closet was full of Abercrombie button down shirts, sweaters, pants and shorts... in between those plaid skirts, XCP shirts, basketball uniforms and golf attire. You rarely saw her in a dress. She was always more about comfort.Ahh, how I miss those days and will FOREVER hold them close to my heart.  I bet she'd get a kick out of my new "profession."

Since graduations are approaching and many seniors out there are having senior portraits taken, I thought I would give some examples of senior portrait styling. My inspiration comes from my sister and spring flowers. She had her senior portrait taken with gerber daisies. They have become a significant symbol to represent my sister and the too short, but beautiful life she lived.


Girls, have fun with the floral prints seen everywhere this season. Go with a small print with shoes and accessories that pop! Layer with a cardigan or jean jacket. Look for unique accessories like this head wrap from Vintage Rose Wraps and necklace from eco Bling Couture on etsy. Wearing both together might be a bit much... one of these on it's own would look darling! Pink, green or gold shoes... wedges or flats... you'll look picture perfect!
Of course, a dress from Abercrombie & Fitch :), jacket from Eddie Bauer and shoes from Zappos.

Gap Stretch Denim <em>Jacket</em>Pink LimaliciousCandy Coated Cluster Necklace Reclaimed Jewelry

Nine West - JaxsonNine West - BlancaGiuseppe Zanotti - E10124


This Sunday will mark the 12th anniversary of my sister's death...
My younger sister, Emily Elizabeth Ell, was killed by a drunk driver on May 1, 1999, the night of her senior prom. The driver that took her life was a man the age of my own father with two teenage daughters of his own. He weaved in and out of traffic down Scottsdale Rd. that night, going nearly 100mph after drinking heavily at a strip club. He is now serving a 20 year sentence, the maximum penalty for this crime.That night I lost my sister and only sibling.
Please, don't drink & drive...

Our last conversation was that day. Emily called me down at UofA to ask my opinion about how she should style her hair and what accessories to wear. I told her to wear her hair down and that accessories weren't necessary. I knew she would feel more herself, not being so done up. Emily, in the silver gown she borrowed from our cousin, would be a head-turner for sure! I told her to have fun and be safe...

Love you Em... you're always in my heart!


Fashionably Yours,
Angela

3 comments:

  1. I can literally feel the accident happening everytime that I drive down that stretch of road. I stop and pray every time. She is remembered by so many and her death made such an impact on so many lives. I can honestly say that that is why I am so involved in anti-drunk driving causes. Thinking and praying for you always but especially this Sunday. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for including my necklace in your story. May your sisters memory stay alive. Shes a beautiful gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this is the sweetest blog post ever. You and Em are forever sisters and forever friends. xo

    ReplyDelete