December 18, 2012

Old Family Christmas Tradition


Tradition lives on... a personal post.
CRECHE: A representation of the Nativity, usually with statues or figurines

For many years these Creche's have been given to countless family members, friends, neighbors, teachers, employees, etc. My grandmother made them with my mom and her brothers, and as "Gigi" grew older, she and my mom would bake the cookies and gingerbread well before Christmas, during trips to visit us in Phoenix. My sister and I would then help my mom assemble these scenes just after Thanksgiving.  As I got older I was less involved in the process; thankfully my mom always had a few spare creche's for me to give to my own friends. Now that I am a mother and my son is old enough to truly begin to understand the true meaning of Christmas, this year he was a part of the Creche tradition with his "Gigi" (my mom) and me. It's a very special tradition I am honored to carry on with her and my son.  

The Creche:
A sugar cookie dough for Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, shepherds, angels, Wise men & donkey
Gingerbread dough for the stable
Toasted coconut for the hay
Add some M&M's to the coconut "floor"
Add a bow or Christmas greens to the top of the stable

As simple as this is, it says it all... what Christmas is truly all about, 
the birth of our Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ.

Two weeks ago my son was riding his bike out front & suddenly came to a stop, called out to my husband and said, (while pointing up to the sky) "Hey Dad! Guess who's Birthday's coming up?!" My husband says, "Who?" Our son replied, "Baby Jesus! Aren't you excited!?" 
Thank you to the teachers at Christ Church School for helping us as parents, lay the foundation of Faith.

Merry Christmas!
Angela





No comments:

Post a Comment